There is so much anger about oil prices and how much we pay for fuel. What about the prices we pay at the supermarket for other liquids? Let's take beverages for example.
Unleaded petrol is currently around $1.30 per litre. Coca Cola in a 1.5litre bottle costs $2.15 (www.colesonline.com.au) which is $1.43 per litre. Water. Good old drinking water is $3.04 (1 litre Mt Franklin Still Water - ok there are cheaper alternatives) per litre.
- Travel to the other side of the planet
- Engage some heavey machinery to drill through the earth's crust
- Pump out dead dinosaurs
- Put the fluid on a boat
- Transport it back to the other side of the world
- Distill the dead dinosaurs into various products
- Transport the distilled products to distributions centres
Costs less than putting plain old water in a bottle. Our two big supermarket chains here in Australia are screwing this country.